Monday, October 09, 2006

Some reading

I happend to read two amazing books back to back over the last couple of days. It was impossible to put them down even though they were taking away a lot of time from my hectic schedule but they were well worth the read.

"I want a drink. I want fifty drinks. I want a bottle of the purest, strongest, most destructive, most poisonous alcohol on Earth. I want fifty bottles of it. I want crack, dirty and yellow and filled with formaldehyde. I want a pile of powder meth, five hundred hits of acid, a garbage bag filled with mushrooms, a tube of glue bigger than a truck, a pool of gas large enough to drown in. I want something anything whatever however as much as I can."

A Million Little Picecs is the memoir of a 23 year man undergoing treatment at a rehabilitation center. Its a story of courage, of shame. Of everything bad a man can do and how he tries to atone for it, realizing all the while that atonement might not possible. Through the book there were so many incidents that made a chill run down my spine. You start of being in control and soon the addiction takes control over you. So much so that even though you know its killing you, all you can do to get over the feeling is dope some more. I thinks its a must read for all youngsters, it would prove to me a real deterrent in the fight against drugs.

Its also about the camaderie that develops in so obsure a place that seems so far away from a normal person's psyche. Judges and felons, drugdealers and doctors cohabit the same dorms, eat the same meals, share the same jokes and of course recourse to the same cigarettes to drive away the "urge". I am dying to read the second book in the series, My Friend Leonard.

The Cave is surprisingly another book on hope. Extremely enchanting.

BTW I am looking for a copy of The Story of Civilization Vol 1. Please holler if you know where to find it. Its out of print.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do know that a lot of stuff in that book is just made up, its not really a true story. It might still be inspiring, but the fact that he pretends its a true story undermines it even more. More on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Frey

Anonymous said...

BTW I am looking for a copy of The Story of Civilization Vol 1
:)
Will Durant was a great man.
http://www.willdurant.com/home.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Durant

If you are willing to wait for 35 days, then order via fabmall.

(btw, his "Story of Philosophy" is available in most good bookstores)

Unknown said...

Diwaker: Nice to see you here :) Well I did bring up a search after I had done reading the book and did find out that a lot of it wasnt true. There is a note by James Fray on AMZN's site, but nonetheless I skipped the intro where he says its a real story, so I had considered it a work of fiction till the very last page, and I did find it extremely inspiring and it did give me quite a lot of goose pimples. Anyways how have you been?

Sups: Ur college st. is no good. No one seemed to have the book. I looked for an hour :(

Anonymous said...

after reading ur reviews, i bought both. million little pieces and my friend .. didnt put the first one down till i was done.independent of its trueness, i liked it. kinda related to it.trying to control my urge to read the next one ... no time!

Anonymous said...

best site

Anonymous said...

best site

Anonymous said...

best site

Anonymous said...

best site