Monday, May 23, 2005

Dilli Callin

I think I should stop apologizing for being such a jerk at posting...

So last tuesday my HR tells me I need to attend my visa interview on Tuesday. *dumb stare* What happened to my not getting the date till sometime in august, I was so overjoyed that I won't be leaving anytime soon. Anyways then began the frantic search for documents I didnt even know existed. My tax form, certificates, yada yada yada. I am really bad at paper work and being stuck with it while half my mind is coaxing me to get back to work lest my manager hangs me for missing the deadline, is definitely not my idea of fun.

So I headed out to hamari dilli. [Sidenote: just realised, the blogger shortcuts do not work in safari ;-(] Somehow I just love the city much to the chagrin of everyone I know. Well the city seems really uninviting when you step onto the station/airport/bus-stand with the auto-wallahs ready to shread you to bits, well at least ur wallets. The worst part of the city is the people, they seem so cold, it even shows on their faces. Their eyes sewing hatred, heat, disgust that become one with the formidable temeperature. But you must probe deeper to find out the real Delhites. Most of the ones I know are genuinly nice people. Its just that the mad rush of the city has left them little time to deal with other peoples' idiosyncracies.

Anyways apart from that the city is bliss. The roads are amaaaaaaazing... You can zip across them, a pleasure that I seem to miss in Bangalore. I am so in love with the Delhi roads. The infrastructure rulez anyday. There are infinitely many places to hang around and note most of them are not swarming with people like Forum or M.G.Road. The weather is at its extremes but 4 years at Kanpur and another in Delhi has made me immune to the changes. Well I like Bangalore weather, but I wouldn't mind Delhi weather too ;-) There is so much to explore in the city. Every weekend I was there I came across a new place, that had its own hues and philosophy... You can spend days going through the streets of old Delhi and discovering what its bowels holds. Time unfolds every moment revealing a new story waiting to be explored. Bookstores !!! Any bookstore in CP has a better connection that most bookstores here. Well I kind of like Blossoms, and they generally have a great collection, but not as good as Bookworms...

Well the city is not safe... for girls. I am not one :D

This post makes me sound like a Bangalore hater, but I really am not. I feel in love with the city the first time I came here in 7th standard, and that generally dosent happen. The only other city would be Copenhagen. The city was so green, no crowd at all, way too cool :) But sadly it has not grown with the times. Roads are chock-a-block filled with cars, bikes fuming away. Ugly building have replaces the trees and the lakes that made this city a heaven to live in. Sadly all that is gone. All that remains is traffic, congestion, inflated prices and software engineers...

Coming back to Delhi, take a ride on the DND flyway around evening from NOIDA to Delhi. You will get this view of the Humayun's tomb in the distance, the sun setting in the background, the sky a tint of orange, the blue minaret of the tomb in a sharp contrast to it. Ethereal, something out from one of Coolridge's poems. Welcome to the City of Djinns.

And, would it not be wrong to forget the Delhi gals :-))

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

do u update in bulk? two two posts up! and before that so many days nothing :p

Unknown said...

thanks to you :D

Anonymous said...

Well did you notice how the pollution is under control now (in Delhi)? I went to Delhi last month after probably 4 years and it was a delight to notice how the restrictions and regulations have brought about changes in the pollution condition there

Elixir said...

lol. no u dont sound like a blore hater...more like working PR in delhi tourism ;-)

n nope i aint wanna change places :P

Unknown said...

yeah the pollution is really under control. Sheila Dixit has really overhauled the city in a nice way.

elixir, maybe i should apply for the post :-?.. :D