Saturday, May 14, 2005

Sarnoff... not smirnoff ;) hic...

There is this guy who is visiting us from the Princeton office. He is supposed to have worked on the first ever 4-bit micro-processor at Rockwell. He told us they thought it was just some another circuit when they developed it the first time. They never imagined it would reach the heights it has reached now... WOAH !!! Thats what I call cool technology :D

I got to know some really cool things from him about my company that even I didn't know abt.

When the WWI broke out, the axis forces has access to the radio, much thanks to Marconi, which meant they could easy transmit information. A VERY BIG advantage in war if you can make communication at the speed of sound... :) The US desperately wanted this technology. So they started the Radio Corporation of America under David Sarnoff. But once the war was over it was not leagal to have a publically funded company, so it became a private company. And their first product was apple syrup that they made from the tree in their back yard :)) David Sarnoff invented the idea of broadcasting (YEAH !!!) and brought radio into people home. People at that time lauded the idea saying who would like to listen to the orchestra in Europe sitting at him home in the US :-? Well times tells us that they very much liked the idea...

For me this stands out like the single most important contribution that RCA made to the world. Imagine the world that didn't belive in sharing knowledge, no radio, no television, no net !!!

Then they did the same with TV. They added sound to movies, Color Television, HDTV... the list continues. Ever heard of the RCA jack ?? Wait till my thing comes out ;) LOL !!!

It feels nice to be part of such a company that has such an old and illustrious history. Wanna join us?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) me first :)
Cool job huh :)

Primalsoup said...

So, is this a HR ploy that you are furthering?! :)

Thanks for coming by my Blog, that way I found yours!

Anonymous said...

arghhhhh I thot it was some update coz saw this footage click on th ads :P

Unknown said...

primalsoup: I would rather build the team myself than trust the HR guys ;)

swaps: u r welcome anytime...

pseudonym: WWII was after the company become public