Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Bombay

Whenever I used to think of Bombay I had these sepia toned images of old cloth mills churing out yards and yards of creamy colored fabric. Of workers moving like drones. Of old business houses like the Tatas, and whole parsee feeling. But above all this a feeling of warmth. Of joy that comes out of a hard day's work. Somehow the fast moving traffice on Marine Drive was never a part of my imagination, nor the Queen's necklace. For me Bombay symbolized something like NY, a city of dreams. A place where hard work is appreciated, a place where people do not have time for useless banter. Driving engines of economy.

I had the same feeling when I visited Bombay a few days back. The air itself seemed to resonate with this feeling. The city seemed so vibrant and alive even in the late hours of the night. I was staying somewhere on Napean Sea road, and had a lovely view of the sea, frothing and foaming during the rains. WOW !!!

My sis took me to her office in Fort and since it was on a Sunday there was no crowd at all. That place resembeled one of those quaint Victorian towns, with paved roads and stone building. In fact I saw lot of these victorian looking building throuought the city. Hmmm... I had the feeling that I was in Edinburgh, albeit a much much bigger and crowded one.

Somehow I have really started liking the city :-) Should I move to Bombay :-? Hmmm...

This trip to Bombay was also a time to think and interospect. I was able to reach the lucid clarity which generally tends to allude me becoz I am doing so many things at the same time. Something had been troubling me of late, but now I am at peace :D I think the sea also has something to do with it. It generally tends to make me calmer...

PS:I asked my driver Ganesh to take me to the place where the old mills once stood. All of them stand in ruins. Most of them have been closed down and the workers disbanded :-(
And the sea in Bombay is REALLY FILTHY !!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi vibhanshu.. is Kanu in Bombay now.. ask her to get in touch with me plzzz.. tell her that somethng like email still exists :P

Anonymous said...

Filthy sea .. ewwww! :P

Bombay - nevah been there, but in my book - Delhi rocks! Tra la la. No arguments accepted.

Anonymous said...

strange really, being in mumbai as its called, me is so buzy living, takes a city watcher to give me a perspective bout amchi mumbai :)

n mist...never been 2 mumbai n dont accept arguements?? i rest my case gurl!! :P:P

Unknown said...

elixir: Delhi r0x0r anyday !!! I second misty :p

aroosh: looks like my blog has become a message board for my sister's class. Will do the needful though. Right now she is busy house hunting.

misty: whats troubling ya so much?

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you (we) "anthropomorphize" cities as if these are persons.

Delhi : Rude (well, according to me)
Bombay : Busy
Kolkata : Lost/Intellectual.
Bangalore : Cosmopolitan ?

Yup, the sea is good for health. :)

Anonymous said...

I was in mumbai last three days for visa. It was fun. reminiding mumbai gives me some pictures of buildings, cars and locals. Too much wealth and too much poverty. but i luv mumbai.