Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Goldfishes and the like...

Ok, after the long hiatus here I am :D

PRELUDE:
So what have I been doing in the past few days. Well I am trying to babysit my cousin's fishes while he is in Delhi... Looking after fishes is no small deal, esp if you do not know whats their feed like. Hmmm, so I ended up giving them much much more food than was required for them. I thought the more they eat the healthier they would become. Alas. As a result of this benevolent feeding the tank got really murky. I came back from work and opened up the cover to give them YET more food and I was aghast to see the condition of the fishes. One was dead already. The others that were alive were at the surface gasping for breath. Looked like a scene out of a Stephen King movie. I felt so much pity for these poor creatures. Really felt strange. *all that emotinal crap*.


[Sidenote: I am really really particular abt not touching slimy things, especially things that look dirty, and more so if they move]

RESCUE:
So I was in a fix, I couldn't call the aquarium guy in the middle of the night. The only resort that presented itself was that I get involved in the matter. Hmmm then began frantically looking for buckets. There was no time to spare, every moment was of essence *tries to make it sound melodramatic* Ultimately after 10 mins I could locate 2 buckts, one of which had a crack in them. I put the fishes that were still breathing or trying to breathe into the tub of fresh water, and then I sheepishly removed the dead fish. I didn't know whether the fishes would survive in the cold water or not, i am no Ichthyologist. So I ended up fitting the tub with all kinds of gizmos that adorned the tank, lest the fishes die.

All this was proceeded by the tank cleaning, one of the buckets cracking into two, the fishes ending up in the bath tub.... MAD night, CRAZY !!! One friday night I wouldn't forget ever :D Eventually all the six that were alive at the time the rescue started are still alive, swimming away peacefully :-) Now I know what doctors in the ER room feel like. Well sorta..

EPILOGUE:
Make me aware that there are certain things abt me that I still have to discover. I wouldn't never have imagined that I would actually have anything to do with these fishes. What prompted me? I do not know. But at the end of it I felt peaceful :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Hurrah for Dr. Vibhanshu!

Btw, that painting of yours - very pretty! I didn't you were into art!

Anonymous said...

It turns out that the decaying food generated ammonia and ammonia is supposed to be VERY toxic for fishes. Plus, water even with a moderately high pH is equally toxic for these guys :)

-:-veneet-:-

Anonymous said...

Dude, don't delete the movies on the Mac :)

. said...

bahut badiya kaam kiya