Friday, April 27, 2007

Show me the Money, Honey

Why is money such a bad word in India? If someone were to say "I like money" he is always looked down upon in our society. It has been seen as a vice almost synonymous with sex and all the things considered bad in the Indian value system. Too much money corrupts, we have been taught. Everyone wants money, but no one is ready to accept the fact. Why such hypocracy?

You would have heard lot of managers say you should not be working for money. Now this is one thing I fail to understand. I can always do better work in an academic institution or on my own. I work for a company whose ONLY responsibility is to create wealth for its stakeholder. The only REASON I might be interested in working for a corporate entity is the fact that I WANT MONEY. What is so difficult to comprehend? The whole charade that the HR puts up during recruitment and the managers henceforth is so sickening. I say India, because I am familiar with the recruitment practices elsewhere and almost all employers worldwide are ready to talk about and negotiate the compensation except India.

Lots of people have told me that they want to start companies. They have this great technical idea that would change the lives of millions, they are sick of working for someone else, they want some excitement in their otherwise mundane life. These might be valid reasons for thinking of a startup but if you are not interested in making money you can't be an entrepreneur. Period. I think this conscious aversion about money or talking about it needs to change if a new wave of entrepreneurship has to sweep through India and give rise to the silicon valley. People need to start thinking of money before they get the itch to create great companies.

Lots of money.

8 comments:

Bendtherulz said...

Not sure which industry you are talking about - in my world , its all about Money !! If you don't show profitability, your worth - you do get peanuts at the end of year. We have targets , which we need to achieve on individual/ team and company level...oh my my...full 9 yards.
Recently somebody asked me - whats my hobby and I said -Working as that gives me Money - then only I can pursue my passion...!
I believe most of the people do work with that adage - on so many level its actually not about money - but what money is getting you ,every one has their needs and satisfiers !!

Unknown said...

I agree with what you say, everyone has his passion that are different from money and everyone needs money to pursue them.

But thats not what I talk about. How many people would admit that MONEY is their passion? And if they do they are not seen in a very good light in our society.

Anonymous said...

Hi dear, money has great power in it...but sometimes other thing do take over the money..
every work is being done for money but at the end if you are not satisfied with the work you will not be happy and that time it odesnt matter how mush maney you have make from it...

Aditi said...

its true, money has the power, it can get you everything, sometimes it overpowers the feelings and emotions and you lose those important things in life..

You find several people joining you coz u've money but u'd never ever get sight of those people, as u lose money.
concentrate on quality first and maintain it then money will flow in itself

Aditi said...

nice blog.. added u in my friends list..

Cuckoo said...

How truly said !! You are right.
Everyone (well, almost) is so much concerned about money & knows it has a strong power but reluctant to admit.

Oh yes, I admit that I work for money .First it helps me to survive physically (mentally I can survive w/o money I guess), it helps me to do a lot of other things which I can't do w/o it. It is basic necessity for survival.

Those who say only, air, water etc. are basics lie.

Nice article. Liked it. :)

BTW, I have added you as my friends on Picassa. Liked your pictures very much.

Unknown said...

Mona: Yes I agree with you, but thats when you are interested in doing something you love. If you work because you like the work, I agree with what you are saying. But how many of us really do?

And the point I was trying to make was why cant I walk up to some and say I am interested in making making. Thats is my real calling instead of giving some crap like I want to create technology and hence startup and maybe make money in the process. The process actually goes in the reverse direction.

Aditi: Thanks :) Do keep visiting...

Cuckoo: Nice to know that you liked my pics. Like I already mentioned I am a fan of your travel blog :D

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's pretty obvious that money is often synonymous with everything evil and/or shameful in human society. Money and Power-these two things. I guess that's because the people who have it and flaunt it are not necessarily exemplary people. So by association lots of money is supposed to be bad..and your having it means you are bad! Ever wondered why our strippers make a fortune and social workers make a pittance?